before writing some words, let’s go over some numbers:
- 2: years since my first national weightlifting competition
- 540: days since the BuzzFeed article coining “pixie warrior” was released
- 10: months spent without touching a barbell in order to recover from a traumatic injury
- 2342.1: miles driven from the city of brotherly love to the valley of the sun
- 50: attempts made to write this first blog post
this year has been filled with the most fear, pain, disappointment, anguish…passion, joy, courage, and strength.
after a severe injury, a loss of a job and coach, i sat in the comfort of my beautifully brick walled loft reminiscing on all of my successes, yet fearing all of my failures. i cried tears for all i had lost, but my spirit realized that in all of my past comforts i’d already lost the most important thing…challenge.
i’d accepted my comfort, i lived in the past with mere expectations of a future, but i never breathed in the present moment. i chose to easily dismiss fear rather than accepting it in order to propel me into a state of courage. so the next breath i took, i embraced that presence, fear, pain, and the new challenges to come from it.
so here i am. writing in the beautiful desert, training under one of the top coaches in the country, with not much to my name…my passion, my strength, and just that, my name. so join me in my journey to see what lies ahead.